For this assignment, we were assigned to create a magazine spread for an online article. I chose the article “Church Issues Statement on Homelessness” by Aida Tibbits on the BYU-Idaho Scroll website. Here is the link to the actual article: http://byuiscroll.org/church-issues-statement-homelessness/
The Message of the Design
I felt that the article was aimed at members of the Rexburg community who were able to make a difference by donating money, services, or otherwise. I wanted the design involved to portray alertness, but at the same time not be scary or intimidating. With that in mind, I used the color yellow to signify caution. (such as in stoplights, yield signs, etc.) But I tried to keep the overall theme light. Especially since in Rexburg there isn’t a lot of people without homes. I didn’t want the design to scare away people who could help in what ways they could in surrounding areas.
The Cover Page
The front page was designed to introduce the topic. With an image of a homeless person sitting in the shadow of a house, and then the beginning of the article. It catches the readers eye. Especially with how the picture is taken. Using the Rule of Thirds, there is a lot of empty space, but the person is still prominent. This is assisted by leading lines that are created in the bricks of the house. The lines slope downward leading our eyes to the man. The text of the title is also used to frame the picture a little bit. Filling in unneeded space and focusing on the subject.
Contrast in the Design
I used contrast to separate the words of the title. They are in close proximity to one another, so we know that they are all part of the title, but I made the word “homelessness” stand out by making it a thicker font, as well as white with a drop shadow, so it pops out. It is one of the first things that attracts your eye, and when you look at it, you instantly know the subject of the article.
I also contrasted the colors used throughout the article. The yellow is contrasted with a cream color so that the yellow doesn’t become too overbearing to the eye.
The contrasting aspects used on the cover are continued here in the spread. These colors create unity in the article, as well as the diamond that is utilized in the back of the cover, as the shape for the pull-quote, and at the end of the text. I initially used more of a checkered design with more squares instead of columns. However, with that design, it was hard to follow where the text was going. This layout makes it easy to follow the text down each column.
The fonts I used in the text were Palatino and Kannada Sangam MN as the body copy and headings respectively. The use of Palatino was mostly for readability, and the article would be easier to follow. I used Kannada Sangam MN for the headings because it not only contrasted with the body copy well, but I also liked how stark it was, with no serifs or transitions in stroke width. I felt it was subtly compatible with the message of awareness I was using. The headings were bigger to clearly show the change in the article
Picture on Spread
I used this picture because I felt it not only left the article with a more hopeful tone, but it also contrasted with the first image of hopelessness. I also thought that it represented ideas of what readers could do in addition to ideas conveyed in the text.
This project helped me learn some of the nuances of using Adobe InDesign and gave me experience in using it for real-world scenarios. It solidified deeper the principles of design (Contrast, Proximity, Alignment, Repetition.) It also helped me learn how to take and use my own pictures for designs.
Both of these photos were taken by me and were taken for the purpose of this project.